Monday, December 1, 2014

Filipinos in Thailand: My Pinoy life in Songkhla

Filipinos in Thailand: My Pinoy life in Songkhla


Angel Jerlin Balais

 

Since when have you been staying there? Can you recount briefly why you moved there?


I came to Thailand in 2005 to join volunteers assisting programs for migrants and refugees at the Thai-Myanmar border. At that time, I was working as Educational Assistance Program Coordinator in Families and Children for Empowerment and Development (FCED) and a basic literacy educator in Tahanan Sta. Luisa, a drop-in center for young street girls below 18. I was also studying in U.P. Diliman, graduate program for a second degree in Social Work. The volunteer work opportunity was so difficult to ignore. So with support from my family who are also attached to community service, I flew to Thailand. In the first 3 months of my stay, I had been immersed in different settings, dealing with different issues in Southern and Northern Provinces of the Land of Smiles – as a replacement teacher in a school in Phattalung; to distribute relief goods for Burmese victims of Tsunami in Krabi, Phuket and Phang Nga; organize a learning center for the children of Burmese migrants in Mae Sot; visit refugee camps in Mae Ramat and also to reach-out to the stateless people, and Kareni tribes, in faraway, nameless mountains along the borders of Thailand. It was a life-changing experience indeed.


See more of her story, http://goo.gl/rRFAky

No comments:

Post a Comment