Monday, December 1, 2014

Filipino Designer: Illustrado Retro – Michael Cinco

Before he became known as the ‘impalpable one’ who creates million peso dresses, Michael Cinco, one of the world’s foremost Filipino designers was already larger than life.  Take a look into his colorful past as we backtrack on our first cover shoot with him in 2007.
 

ILLUSTRADO RETRO:  MICHAEL CINCO

From Illustrado Magazine
 
Story by Lalaine Chu-Benitez
 
Photography: Allan Desiderio
 
Model: Former Bb Pilipinas International 2002 Kristine Alzar
 
Hair and Make-Up: Basil Yunting
 
Shot at The One and Only Royal Mirage, Dubai




I asked Michael whether a specific designer influenced him. He answers, “I try not to be influenced by any designer. But I am ‘inspired” by the likes of John Galliano, as well as the Incas of Peru, the Mayans in Apocalypto, the marquee for the launches of the Palazzo Versace, including the wilted rose petal on my table, and the Curly Tops wrapper in the bin. I try to see beauty in everything.”
 

As a consummate fashion instigator, Michael puts a lot of importance on creativity and drama but insists that this must be balanced with reality. “It’s great to tell a story in every design but you must never forget that despite all the fantasy, the woman has to be satisfied and the dress has to be sold. I have to seduce woman into buying and wearing my clothes…that’s my role.”
 

With undeniable success in the local haute couture market, there’s nothing that even remotely resembles Michael’s cheeky mien and amusing dramatics, when it comes to his highly regarded body of work that has earned serious respect from his peers.  And inspite of it all, the designer still keeps a firmly rooted attitude attributing his success to hard work and luck. “I always believe that I’ve been lucky all the way. There are a lot of designers who work hard but don’t make it, he comments in earnest.


Read full story: http://goo.gl/jCS65Q

No comments:

Post a Comment